The terrifying work colleague of the future
How would you like to look like Emma (below) in a few years?
Source: Sky News 2019
Emma is a model created to show what the average desk worker will look like in 20 years’ time – pretty horrifying, right?
According to a new report, The Work Colleague of the Future commissioned by office equipment firm, Fellowes, the average office worker will have a hunched back, varicose veins and a protruding stomach along with a whole host of other medical issues.
William Higham, author of the report, said, “Unless we make radical changes to our working lives, such as moving more, addressing our posture at our desks, taking regular walking breaks or considering improving our work station set up, our offices are going to make us very sick.”
With that in mind, we thought we’d share some possible methods that you could implement in your office to achieve a higher standard of workplace wellbeing.
The below are tried and tested at Equilibrium and have worked wonders to keep our team happy and healthy!
- Movement snacks – rather than call or email your colleague, why not take a quick walk (aka movement snack) to their desk?
- Regular yoga/meditation/massage sessions – we have all three at Equilibrium, but just one of these activities regularly can be great for employee wellbeing.
- Desk assessments are vital to ensure that people are comfortable in their environment and not inflicting long-term damage to their health
- Paid eye tests and contributions to new glasses
- Platforms like Perkbox offer physio and workout programmes (as well as other great perks such as free mobile phone insurance and cinema tickets!)
- Reduced gym rates – why not ask your local gym if they have any corporate offers?
To find out more about how to keep your company happy and healthy, read more about our culture at Equilibrium.